FAQs on Renunciation FAQs on Renunciation

FAQs on Renunciation

FAQs on Renunciation/Surrendering Of Indian Citizenship

Q. What is a Renunciation/Surrender Certificate?

A: A Renunciation/Surrender Certificate is issued to applicants who surrender their passport at Consulate after acquiring foreign nationality.

Q. How to apply for Renunciation/Surrender of Indian Citizenship Certificate?

Please follow below steps for Renunciation application:

Suite 550, 1001 Texas Avenue,
Houston TX 77002

Q. What is difference between Surrender Certificate & Renunciation Certificate?

A. Both are same.

Once you acquire foreign citizenship you have to surrender your last Indian passport to Indian Consulate for cancellation. Consulate will cancel it and returned to you along with a ‘Renunciation/Surrender Certificate’ issued by Consulate.

Q. What should I do, If I lost/misplaced my last India Passport? Or what is a Renunciation Declaration Certificate?

A. Those who have misplaced or lost their last Indian passport and hence do not have their Indian passport which they can surrender for cancellation are given a ‘Renunciation Declaration Certificate’ based on submission of sworn affidavit on loss of Indian Passport and other required documents.

Q. Can I still hold my Indian passport after acquiring Foreign Citizenship?

A. The Indian Citizenship Act does NOT allow dual citizenship. Holding an Indian passport or acquiring an Indian Passport or Traveling on an Indian passport after acquisition of foreign citizenship constitutes an cognizable offense under the Indian Passport Act and attracts penalties and imprisonment or both.

Q. What proof of Indian Origin can I provide if I don’t have my Indian Passport?

A. If you do not have a copy of your last Indian passport, you have to provide following documents that provide sufficient evidence that the applicant has held Indian Citizenship:

  • Naturalization Certificate and current valid passport
  • Sworn affidavit on loss of Indian Passport
  • Birth Certificate of applicant
  • Notarized copy of educational certificate issued by an institution of India OR
  • Domicile Certificate or certificate of residence or certificate of place of birth of self or parents or grandparents from First Class Magistrate / District Magistrate (DM) of the concerned place.

Q: My passport been expired; can I get Renunciation/Surrender Certificate for the same?

A: Yes, expired passports too can be presented for surrendering. Renunciation/Surrender Certificate will not be issued, for Impounded, Revoked, Suspended, and Cancelled (against Re-issue) passports.

Q. Can I apply for OCI and Renunciation together?

A. No

Q. Is it necessary to carry the Certificate of Renunciation of Indian Citizenship during travel to India?

A. No, it is not necessary for travelers to carry Certificate of Renunciation of Indian Citizenship during their travel to India.

Q. I have received my Renunciation Certificate and there is an error in the spelling of my name, what should I do?

A.Please contact Consulate through helpline email/phone regarding any correction/printing mistake etc. Consular officer will check your document and inform you about next course of action.

Q. Can I apply for Renunciation and visa to gather?

A. Yes

Q. Is naturalization certificate necessary for the renunciation?

A. Yes, it is issued by the foreign government in the process of obtaining foreign passport.

Q. What is grace period available for use for obtaining renunciation certificate after acquiring foreign citizenship?

A.Indian national can obtain Renunciation Certificate within 3 years of acquisition of foreign citizenship.