FAQ’s on miscellaneous services FAQ’s on miscellaneous services

FAQ’s on miscellaneous services

Q: What are the various Miscellaneous Services are offered by Consulate through VFS ?

A.Consulate has not outsourced Miscellaneous Services to VFS or any other outsources partner or agent. All Miscellaneous Services are directly rendered by Consulate to Applicants. VFS is the authorized Service Provider for the CGI, Houston only for Passport, Visa, OCI and Renunciation services.

Q: What are the various Miscellaneous Services are offered by Consulate?

A.Consulate is rendering following Misc. Service directly to the applicants. Attestation of Documents, Attestation of Power of Attorney, Affidavit for Child’s Passport to be issued in India, Marriage Certificate, Life Certificate, Birth Certificate, Police Clearance Certificate, NRI Certificate, NORI I, NORI III, Death Documents Attestation for Transportation of Ashes/Mortal Remains to India, Attestation of will, Registration of Birth etc.

Q.Should I need to make an appointment before coming to Consulate for Submitting my Misc. Service application?

A.There is no need to take an appointment, but it is helpful if you come with online Misc.form filled and printed.

Q.What are the timing for submitting Documents for attestation ?

A.Applicants can visit the Consulate on any working day as per below timing.

Timing for submitting the documents: 9:30 AM to 12:00 PM.

Timing for delivery of the documents: 4:00 PM to 4:30 PM.

Q. How can I apply for Misc. Service ?

A.Please visit our website :https://www.cgihouston.gov.in/pages/Mjk, Apply online, download the submitted application, print & sign it. Attached all required documents, paste the photograph and submit this physical copy of application to the Consulate by selected mode of submission (i.e. In person or Post mode).

Q.What is the processing time for Misc. services?

A.Same day, for the application submitted through in Person/Over the counter mode.Minimum 5 working days (excluding mailing time) for Application submitted through Mail/post mode.

Q.Documents which are valid as a proof of Address/Residence ?

A.Any one of the following US Driving License OR Utility Bill OR Lease Agreement OR State Identity Card OR Mortgage Deed

Q.Can I pay required fees in cash ?

A.Applicants who opt for “In Person” mode: Required fee may be paid in Cash only.Applicant who opt for “Post/Mail” mode: Required fee may be paid by ‘Money Order/Cashiers’ Cheque in favor of “Consulate General of India, Houston”.

Q.Can I pay required fees by Personal Cheques, Credit Cards, Debit Cards Or Other Banking Instruments ?


Q.Can I get Apostille my Documents/Power of attorney at Consulate ?


Q.What is difference between Attention of Documents or Apostilled Documents ?

A.These are two different options to attest your documents (both are equally valid).

  1. You can get attested your document with Consulate OR
  2. You can get apostilled your document with local authority (i.e. US Govt.)

Q.What is Apostille document ?

A.Appostile Convention (the Hague Convention), to which India and USA are signatories, abolishes the requirement of legalization for Foreign Public Documents. With the certification by the Hague Convention 'Apostille', the document is entitled to recognition in India and vice versa and no certification by the Consulate of India is required. The Convention applies to public documents which have been executed in the territory of one Contracting State and which have to be produced in the territory of another Contracting State.

Q.Is it mandatory or desirable to attest Apostille documents with Consulate?

A.There is no need to attest Apostilled documents by the Consulate before presenting it to authorities in India. Apostilled or Attested both are equally valid.

Q.Can I Apostille documents issued by Indian Authority in USA ?

A.If any document issued by authorities in India (such as birth and death certificates, affidavits, educational documents/diplomas, marriage certificate and Driving License etc.) is required to be presented to authorities in USA, these should be apostilled in India. For details, please check the website “Legalization of Documents” at http://www.mea.gov.in/apostille.htm. However, for the ease of Indian nationals, Consulate/Consulates does “True Copy Attestation Only” of the documents issued by authorities in India. This does not mean certifying the genuineness of the document.

Q.Can death documents be attested by Consulate for transportation of ashes/mortal remains to India ?


Q.What are Documents needed for attestation by Consulate for transportation of Mortal Remains to India?


  • Passport of deceased + 1 Photocopy
  • Original passport of the relative OR friend of deceased + 1 Photocopy.
  • Original Death Certificate + 1 Photocopy
  • Original Embalming Certificate + 1 Photocopy
  • Original Non-communicable disease certificate form Health Department + 1 Photocopy
  • Original Transit Permit + 1 Photocopy
  • Copy of address proof of the deceased OR relative

Note : Applicant is requested to contact concerned funeral home for above mentioned documents.

Q.Can I get my Life Certificate from consulate ?

A.Yes, visit our website for more details: https://www.cgihouston.gov.in/pages/Mjk,

Q. I am traveling, Can I send my son/brother/sister/wife or relative to collect my life Certificate on my behalf ?


Q.How can I get attested my Power of attorney at Consulate ?

A.Please visit our website for more details: https://www.cgihouston.gov.in/pages/Mjk,

Q.How can I get Police Clearance Certificate (PCC) from Consulate? What is the processing time ?


If your Police Verification Report (PVR) is clear

For in Person mode : Same day

For Mail/Post Mode: Minimum 5 working days

If your Police Verification Report (PVR) is not clear or pending, the processing time will be approximately 30 days or more In such cases, processing time depends on the availability of clear PVR form Concerned authorities in India.

Q.My father had already passed away, can I attest the will made by him ?

A.No, physical presence of applicant at consulate is required to attest any will.

Q.Can I get notary done for my documents at Consulate ?


Q. Is self-addressed pre-paid envelop mandatory for application through Mail/Post Mode ?


Q. I am living in Oklahoma, can I send my documents by Mail for attestation?


Q.How can I get the Life Certificate for property and what is the charges?

A.Yes, we can provide the life certificate for property purpose. The fee for the certificate is $27.

Visit our website for more details: https://www.cgihouston.gov.in/pages/Mjk,

Q.Is miscellaneous services provided on B1/B2 US visa status?

A.Yes, In case of B1/ B2 US visa status applicant, needs to produce valid I94 to avail the miscellaneous services.

Q.How to apply Global Entry program (GEP) at Houston consulate?

A.Visit following link to apply for GEP program at Indian consulate Houston.
Kindly create your account under Register head, log in to your account under user login and fill out the online application for GEP.
Please bring following documents to apply for GEP Background check at Indian consulate Houston.

  • Printout of GEP application form with one color photograph
  • Indian passport copy(1st and last page)
  • Valid US visa
  • US Proof of address
  • Fees : US$ 27/- (in cash only) 

Note : For any further doubts/questions regarding any Misc. Service offered by consulate, Please send an email to info[dot]houston[at]mea[dot]gov[dot]in